Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What's Steampunk?


Sam Van Olffen, originally uploaded by nrillustration.

Lately, I keep running into the "steampunk" trend. It's difficult to give a concise definition because there are lots of variations on the theme, but it's kind of Victorian steam age meets sci-fi. You can find steampunk-inspired books, movies, art and jewelery.

These photo compositions by Sam Van Olffen describe the genre well. Van Olffen characterizes himself as "a humanoid who loves ducks, the H-bomb and cathedrals". Enough said.
Left: Bio-Tox Romance 2: Just Married
Right: Le Tunnel du Mystère

4 comments:

  1. I think I have seen movies like this.
    TR

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me think of a Japanese movie about mutants, unrequited love and the end of the world... I can't remember the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm... that sounds like a lot of Japanese movies...

    ReplyDelete