Friday, April 16, 2010

Five Favorite Design Tools: #3 Wacom Tablet


intuos tablet, originally uploaded by nrillustration.

A few years ago, I developed unbearable pain in my hand from excessive mouse use. After trying a few different tools to ease the pain, I landed on the Intuos tablet by Wacom. The tablet hooks into your computer and the pen tool acts like a mouse. It takes a little getting used to but, after the learning curve, it's fantastic. This tablet saved the day and my wrist has been thanking me ever since.

You might ask how this differs from the Smartpen I posted a few days ago. Although there's a little overlap at first glance, they two tools are actually quite different. The Wacom is a great mouse replacement which also gives tighter control over your drawings, but it's still not as tactile as drawing with a real pen. The Smartpen is perfect for PURE drawing, especially when you want your work to look like it was naturally drawn. Both of these fine tools deserve a place in my "Top Five".

No comments:

Post a Comment