Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Painted Stairs


Painted Stairs, originally uploaded by nrillustration.

Yes, it has been a very, very long time since I've posted. Lots of crazy changes here at NokHoo... new house, new city and a baby on the way! I've recently returned to Portland, Oregon, which is where I grew up. The new house is really an old house so there's lots of work to do to make it feel like home.

One of our first projects was to uncover and refinish the hardwood floors (I should clarify that "we" didn't actually do it, the folks at Reborn Hardwood Floors did a beautiful job for us). This project included the stairs so we had the treads (the part you walk on) refinished and I'm planning to stencil the risers (the vertical part). The photo above is from the My Marrakesh blog and it shows the stairs at Peacock Pavilions guest house (stencil design by Melanie Royals). This is a good example of what I'm thinking for my stairs, but mine will be a bit more subtle. I've designed the patterns, purchased a stencil cutter and am ready to go... I'll be sharing the exciting stencil journey as it unfolds. Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

  1. What I like about this picture is the complicated design of the stencil with the simplistic whole. PLV

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stensils will be great for adding character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the simple stencils against the more stark background in the photo. Of course, mine will not look quite so grand. I'm having trouble with the stencil cutting so I think that will require a little practice before I can get much further...

    ReplyDelete