Tuesday, November 17, 2009

WPA See America Posters


WPA See America Posters, originally uploaded by nrillustration.

Yesterday's post about Bern Hill reminded me of Works Progress Administration posters, which then led me on a Google-chase to learn more about WPA arts programs. The WPA employed thousands of artists (among many other people) and was instrumental in pulling the US out of the Great Depression.

Given the current state of things, I think Obama and friends should hire people such as myself to do amazing artwork to beautify the country. I volunteer to do travel posters like the ones pictured here from the WPA period.

I'm sad to say they didn't give the artists much credit for their work so I only know that the lower right poster is by Alexander Dux. If anyone knows the others, I would like to give them credit! If you want to see more, Ranger Doug's is a good place to look.

UPDATE: I received a very nice e-mail from Ranger Doug. Here are his comments about the posters, "The history of the original 16 posters and the 16 contemporary commissions are mentioned on the front page history of my website at: www.rangerdoug.com. I work with another artist (we are both former seasonal park rangers) to develop the designs for parks that did not subscribe to the original 1938 Federal Poster Project. The Yellowstone and "See America" Caves posters are originals; the other two are contemporary designs by myself and Brian Maebius."

Thanks for the great info!

No comments:

Post a Comment