Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Legend of the Guardians: Awesome Helmets

We went to see Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole this weekend… in IMAX. The animation was stunning. Between expansive backgrounds and painstakingly detailed owl animation it's difficult to wrap my head around the hours of research and labor it took the artists to put together a full-length movie.

One of my favorite details are the helmets for the battle owls. Above you see the lead good-guy/bad-guy owls and their respective head gear. I want this to be my job-to research battle dress for owl armies, designing little helmets and metal talons for them.

The plot of the movie was just OK-predictable in a big-box-office kind of way. But for me it was worth the time and money just to marvel at the craftsmanship involved in detailing out each feather and how it bends and sways in the wind, scenery reminiscent of Hudson River School paintings and, of course, the little owl props like the helmets. Thumbs up from me.

P.S. Apparently there's been some talk that Legend of the Guardians isn't for kids due to the violence. Of course you need to know your children and what disturbs them but I didn't think it was any more horrifying than what most kids see on TV... but I don't have kids, so you don't have to believe me. Just my two cents.

Top image from Online Movies Hut.
Bottom image from SMH.

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping you saw this movie. I want to see it. Looks beautiful.
    PLVR

    ReplyDelete