Friday, October 26, 2012

The Beauty of Wülfing





I can't believe I've never blogged about Sulamith Wülfing. Wülfing was a German Artist whose ethereal paintings have influenced generations of Illustrators. This quote from Wikipedia describes her work nicely, "The mood of Wülfing's work ranges from serene to wistful to deeply melancholy. The subject is often mysterious, with narrative elements at whose meaning the observer can only guess -- exactly as the artist intended."

I love the solemn mood she creates and the way she layers her compositions. I especially like the contrast between the black & white background with colored foreground in the top picture (sorry, I couldn't find titles) and, in the bottom picture, the bold colors the girl is wearing set against the beautifully patterned robe of the queen. Beautiful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment